Saturday 9 November 2013

After happily ever after, what next?

In the afterglow of showcasing my final collection and graduating my Fashion degree, the stark reality of what do with my life was a little too scary to contemplate, so I hibernated for a few months in the summer under the pretext of 'recovery'.



 As Autumn leaves hit the ground, there was no alternative but to bite the bullet and face the question, "What next?".  Living in a bustling seaside town, close to the wild and beautiful Dartmoor in England, Fashion was hardly the life blood of the city.

 
As luck would have it, just before I began to pull my hair out with worry, word of a lecturing position came my way and a few weeks later I began lecturing fashion and textiles at the Art College I graduated from.  I was over the moon, but still had to consider what I REALLY wanted to do with my life! 
 
My collection was much more than the manifestation of my fantastical world in 'Romy' land. It was the culmination of years of change and self-development.  It was the manifestation of how much I had achieved, and an attestation of the happiness and fulfilment I had finally found in my life.
 
Reptile eyes digital print design on silk chiffon
 
Archaic Medusa digital print design on silk jersey
 
For me personally, fashion has been an evolution from following trends to developing my own style.  What I really design everyday, is what I want to wear.  The reality of fashion and style for me is more than the flashing lights and catwalk shows, its about the average woman standing before her bulging closet of ill-fitting clothes and yet this season's trend must haves, sighing, "I have nothing to wear!".
 
As a curvy thirty-something year old, I am beginning to realise that trends have nothing to do with style, and certainly almost never suit every shape and size.  What do I want to design?  Clothes that I want to wear.  Clothes that fit me.  Clothes that flatter a shape that closer to a cocoa cola bottle than a chopstick, and thighs that make a chicken's look like gazelle's. That's what I want to design.  Real- woman clothes.
 
So what's this blog about?  Its a fashion blog showcasing my design inspiration, my production journey and when complete a styling blog to show you how I would style my garment. Lets get started..
 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment