Saturday 23 November 2013

Quilting in the 21st Century

I love quilting effects on clothes, hence my investment in my leather biker jacket.  I love that jacket like I love my mama (hope she never reads this!).  The quilt effect gives the jacket an edge, and yet has the very practical function of keeping me warm due to the layering beneath.  Thumbs up to River Island on this beauty:

River Island Biker Jacket

I guess we like to think of quilting as abit of a hobby, but  its being incorporated into modern fashion successfully and is a current trend this season. Not to mention the rising popularity of the Barbour Jacket.  My favourite has to be this quilted coat in Chloe's Autumn/Wintern 2012 collection.


But my fascination is with creative and artistic quilters who push the boat on traditional quilting techniques. The first is a quilting artist Nina Paley's work is called Air/Nude based around the 4 elements.

Artist and quilter: Nina Paley: Air/Nude
 
Patricia Tina. Known as Pat. Inspired by:
  • Trinny and Sussanah and their "Sex Bomb" episode - a glorious romp with mutton dressed as lamb;
  • My friend, Vicki, describing blue or green eyeshadow as "mouldy eyelids";
  • My husband's great aunt - a wild and wonderful woman who never stopped dying her hair an extraordinary and rather alarming shade of orange; and
  • my first ever viewing of "Mame" last Sunday.
  • Definitely NOT inspired by any of my red-headed friends, including our luscious ginger Twelves!

 
This colourful creation was made by quilting blogger Sew Kind of Wonderful. 

 
 
I am going to be sampling a few quilting techniques over the next few weeks and if they work, will incorporate them into some of my designs.  So watch this space for pictures of my quilting samples and ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment