Sunday 10 November 2013

Was I the last to know?

The first time I heard about them was on an episode of Oprah years ago.  I dismissed the idea.  I saw them again on episodes of Gok's Fashion Fix, and it began to dawn on me as something that could really benefit me.  So I decided to them a try.  I ordered my first shapewear from Amazon in the summer this year.

 
It was tight and the torso length was too long. The boning made it difficult to move naturally and the rubber built up heat very quickly.  Oh, and the rubber smelt of, well, rubber.  No amounts of perfume and deodorant could mask the smell.  Quite frankly, it was very uncomfortable.  But it certainly made a difference to my posture and overall appearance.  So I thought I would look into other more flexible shapewear options.  My aim was get a smoother transition from waistline to thigh, that is, an elimination the tyre roll between them.
 
As it was experimental, I decided to try out Primark's range.  If they didn't work, at least it would have a smaller impact on my bank balance than the more 'upmarket' brands. I bought the full body shapewear (like a swimming costume) and the thigh buster (extends from below the bust to the top of the thighs).  They smoothed out lumps and bumps, but did not povide the support I was looking for around the lower tummy section.  So I sampled the Tesco's magic knickers. Without boning, or something a little stronger, it doe'snt pull in the tummy to create a lovely flat look. I realise that it would depend on your shape, size and what you want to achieve.  As I am now a size 12 (UK), and most of my weight is around my hips, the lower pooch just needed a little sucking in.
 

 
I needed a lighter combination of girdle and magic knickers.  I also still wanted to wear my own bra.  So I hit Ebay with a vengeance.  I certainly did not want to break the bank looking for shapewear!  And then this beauty popped up on my search.  It was relatively cheap and did the trick!  Although I had to return the L for an XXL, it fitted like a dream, and cinched in my waist in without squeezing the life out me.  It also magically gave my bum a pert look and smoothed out any visible panty line.  In fact I am so in love them them I am ordering a couple more for laundry rotation, if you know what I mean..wink wink. Here's the link to the seller.  Although this one is a UK based seller, no doubt the product is being sold by a Chinese based seller too on Ebay.
 
 
Shapewear is definitely becoming more popular, and vary from different levels of support you're looking for and at a wide range of prices, so you can get some on a budget.  Although it will be a process of trial and error, I think the improvement to the way clothes flatter your shape will be well worth the effort.  And to think feminists fought so hard to get rid of the corset!!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment